A carefully selected range of authentic Italian products available to purchase through a series of inspirational collections
Italian stemma, stemme, hand painted stemma tile
Hand Painted 'Stemme' tiles

Italian stemma, stemme, hand painted stemma tile

A 'stemma' (pl.stemme) is the Italian word for 'coat of arms'. In Italy, every region, every province within that region and every commune within each province has its own coat of arms. That means that with 20 regions, 110 provinces and 8,100 comunes, there are a total of 8,230 Stemme to choose from!

This means that anyone with Italian ancestry has a unique 'coat of arms' that represents their heritage. There are many second and third generation Italians who have a great interest in their roots and in particular the area their ancestors came from. Although it is nearly always possible to find a printed version of the stemma of that area, they are often small and poorly done. We are offering an Italian ceramic tile, depicting a hand painted representation of any 'Stemma' of your choice, supplied plain or in a handmade chestnut frame. The unframed tile can be inserted into the wall of a kitchen or bathroom and the framed tile makes an interesting and unusual picture to hang on the wall.

Examples
Italian stemma, stemme, hand painted stemma tile
Stemma of the comune of Lauria, Potenza, Basilicata

enlarge
Italian stemma, stemme, hand painted stemma tile
Stemma of the comune of Lauria, Potenza, Basilicata (framed)

enlarge


These tiles are by special order only and will take a minimum of three weeks to complete.

Unframed tile - Price: 72.50 euros - Size: 30cm x 30cm (11.81" x 11.81")
Framed tile - Price: 92.50 euros - Size: 38cm x 38cm (14.96" x 14.96")

The shipping cost will be calculated according to delivery address.

If you are interested in having one of these specially commissioned tiles then please and state which Comune, Province or Region you would like. We will then send you an example of the stemma for you to decide whether you want to go ahead. Once you have decided, we will take a deposit of 60% of the cost and order your tile. During the time it is being painted we will keep you informed on the progress and then let you know when it is ready for shipping. We will then request payment of the remaining 40% of the cost, together with the shipping charges. We will then send you the tracking number once the order has been shipped.